Well I have... And this is it. I've been to Rome twice and on both occasions I felt like I was 'coming home' - which might be thought of as odd, seeing as I barely speak a word of Italian and had to communicate with the Gelato sellers by means of gesticulation and incomprehensible 'Engtalian' - and no, I didn't do the English thing of shouting slowly in English - but I did get my feminine words mixed up with the masculine and made an ice cream seller look quizzically at me when I was referring to myself!
Anyway, there's something about Rome - and in particular the Piazza San Pietro - that made me feel more comfortable than I've ever felt in a city (and normally I don't like cities). I could wander the streets of Rome for ever, which is good, because, despite being a petrol-head, absolutely nothing would persuade me to drive on them!
I really want to go back. And... I nearly have enough Air Miles to do so. Perhaps just after Easter? Perhaps this time I'll spend some more time with my 'Learn Italian in what feels like 37,255 easy-but-interminable steps' books?
Mmmm... Uno grande melone gelato per favore... Mmmm...
1 comments:
-
Anonymous
on
17 February 2009 at 15:51
i feel the same way in rome. many priest have remarked to me that a catholic feels naturally at home in his own parish and in rome, so it's funny how you found that advice to be true.
particularly sitting in the cold wet right now, i would very much like to be sat in the piazza san pietro, or munching a pizza somewhere, or wandering around the backstreets!
it's also good that it's quite compact, unlike some larger cities, i find it easy to get around!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment