"If you descend into somebody else's private hell and stand there with them, it ceases to be hell."
3 comments:
-
Anonymous
on
3 March 2009 at 08:12
These are lovely words,and also your prayer Tony,and I'm tempted to use the word solidarity again.However,I overused it last week,so I won't.
I spent most of my life trying to escape or fix suffering,be it my own,or others.Now I just ask God to be with me in it,also Our Lady.He usually makes His love/presence known to me,in the shape of another suffering or overcoming soul, Maybe that's the deal? -
Anonymous
on
3 March 2009 at 14:55
Here are two of my favorite stories about Father Mychal Judge:
He once gave the winter coat off his back to a homeless woman in the street. He later said, "She needed it more than me."
Fr. Mychal anointed a man who was dying of AIDS. When the man asked him, “Do you think God hates me?,” Mychal just picked him up, kissed him, and silently rocked him in his arms.
from
http://SaintMychalJudge.blogspot.com
The word 'compassion' means literally co-passion -- to suffer with another. We may think we can't do great acts like Father Mychal. But as Mother Teresa said, if you can't do great things, do small things with great love. -
Anonymous
on
8 March 2009 at 23:39
Excellent post, Tony. One of my heroes! I'd forgotten his intercession for a while, but now I am reminded all over again.
Post a Comment